1. Write thank you note to the small daughters of friends as if the note were from my dog.
2. Come up with a basic list of questions to help guide my class through the peer review process.
3. Get more coffee.
4. Get more coffee. No, wait, I got stuck on that one.
5. Clean out
office dining room so that 16 people can have Thanksgiving dinner here.
6. Critique poems for dream team writing group.
6a. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to be part of this poetry group. These women have published books! And are smart and nice and funny; all the things you want in a poetry group. Some are better poets than me too.
7. Finish paper about anthropogenic climate change.
7a. Reflect on the fact that we are all doomed.
7b. Drink more coffee.
8. Write more for the fucker even though I feel as if I’ve covered every single topic I could possibly cover. Yesterday I had a small breakthrough about how my awkward section relates to my first section. Now I have to get that idea into lucid prose. No problem, right?
8b. Think about drinking more coffee, but acknowledge that another cup would be hell on my nerves.
9. Read James Baldwin, who is an interesting counterpart to Joan Didion, who I have also been reading obsessively.
10. Acknowledge that after all of this, I am much more likely to read the new Hank Philippi Ryan mystery story I checked out of the library yesterday.
11. Acknowledge additionally that I might possibly have a book problem. Refuse to seek treatment. It’s probably not really a problem.
12. Tutor a bunch of college kids. Collapse in front of the TV and watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
12a. Reflect on how irritating it is to type out “S.H.I.E.L.D.”
13. Do it all over again.
What are you doing today?